Scribbling Mama

A site where I explore all things related to life as a mother, a professor, and a New Orleanian.

Name:
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

I am the mother of a two-year-old and an Associate Professor of English and Women's Studies in New Orleans. I have devoted my career to the study of nineteenth-century American women writers, who were often called "scribblers," and have written a book, Writing for Immortality: Women and the Emergence of High Literary Culture in America, which focuses on the lives and writings of Louisa May Alcott, Elizabeth Stuart Phelps, Elizabeth Stoddard, and Constance Fenimore Woolson. These four women worked hard to overcome the negative connotations associated with women writers, and I am deeply indebted to their examples for the courage not only to write but to make my voice heard. Now, as I and my family try to rebuild our lives after the loss of our home during Katrina, I am using my blog to work through and record my thoughts, experiences, and dilemmas.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Mommyblogging

I just read an interesting article on “mommybloggers” at Austinmama.com. Marrit Ingman addresses the issue of whether women should write (and publish) their thoughts and experiences as mothers. While writing can be therapy and help process the amazingly complex life mothers lead, blogging is also about community. And the community of women writing thoughtfully about motherhood out there is vibrant and empowering. It is wonderful to see so many women connecting and feeling emboldened in their analyses of how we raise children and how we treat mothers. What is the quote from Socrates? “The unexamined life is not worth living.” And why would motherhood be any less worthy of examination than any other life? It has been the most widely lived experience, but, sadly, the least examined. The time has come to look carefully and closely, and you simply can’t do that unless you take the time and care to craft the language to convey what you find. To say that mothers shouldn’t write about their experiences is to say they shouldn’t think or look. You might as well say they shouldn’t breathe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home