Scribbling Mama

A site where I explore all things related to life as a mother, a professor, and a New Orleanian.

Name:
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

I am the mother of a two-year-old and an Associate Professor of English and Women's Studies in New Orleans. I have devoted my career to the study of nineteenth-century American women writers, who were often called "scribblers," and have written a book, Writing for Immortality: Women and the Emergence of High Literary Culture in America, which focuses on the lives and writings of Louisa May Alcott, Elizabeth Stuart Phelps, Elizabeth Stoddard, and Constance Fenimore Woolson. These four women worked hard to overcome the negative connotations associated with women writers, and I am deeply indebted to their examples for the courage not only to write but to make my voice heard. Now, as I and my family try to rebuild our lives after the loss of our home during Katrina, I am using my blog to work through and record my thoughts, experiences, and dilemmas.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Who Wants a "Normal" Childhood?

My darling daughter surprised us by busting out the whole ABC song the other day. All of a sudden, she knows the alphabet. It is one of the those moments when you are thrilled and amazed at what your offspring is capable of. And, I have to say, it was a bit of a relief to have such positive evidence that she is growing and learning, even flourishing, in the midst of all the post-Katrina chaos.

One of our main concerns as we struggled with our decision about whether to stay or move away was what would be the best environment for her to grow up in. Of course, it seems obvious that life in a small Midwestern city would be healthier and safer. The schools are better, crime is lower, the environment is cleaner, and natural disasters are infrequent and more isolated. Plus, life is pretty damn “normal” up there compared to down here, and isn’t that what any parent wants for his/her child? But maybe “normal” is not what she needs most.

Right now she is falling in love with Mardi Gras. We have been to two parades, and she is hankering for more, which she will get this weekend. The parades start Thursday and don’t end until Fat Tuesday. Every time someone walks up to her and hands her a stuffed animal or throws a string of glittering beads from the top of a passing float, we get caught up in the magic of the moment. The whole bead-begging mania seemed pretty pointless to me before, but now the three of us glory in the whole event—the horses, the drums and horns, and the bright colors (but not so much the pre-pubescent girls thrusting their hips in tiny skirts).

New Orleans’ racial diversity (and tension), art and music and parades, architecture, and history, all make this such a unique place. I grew up feeling like I was not really a native of any particular place or culture. But my daughter could grow up as part of an authentic culture here. Is that enough of a benefit to risk her experiencing another hurricane? Of course, the thing about hurricanes is that you have the chance to get out of their way. So I don’t fear for our lives. But I do worry about my daughter having to experience all of this as an older child.

Right now, at two years old, she has been remarkably unaware of the turmoil. The seven-week evacuation and separation from her father was the hard part. Since we have been back together, and especially since she has been back in school, she is a happy little girl. She has never asked about the house or the cats, although she has missed one special friend. (And so do I. Her mom was fast becoming a very dear friend, and their absence is one of the saddest parts of this whole thing to me. They have since moved on to the D.C. area.) But she is making new friends and adapting quite well to the post-Katrina environment.

Although I have worried about her seeing so much destruction, what she seems to notice most are the rebuilding efforts. She is fascinated by all of the construction equipment we encounter every time we hit the road and the men she sees laying bricks or repairing roofs. Although I sometimes say, “women can fix things too,” when she talks about all of the “men working,” we very rarely see women in the work crews. Nevertheless, I hope she will one day be proud of her residency here and the fact that she was part of the rebirth of this one-of-kind city.

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Dear Scribbling Mama, thank you for visiting my blog. Your words (on why you blog) make so much sense and really moved me. My husband was born in New Orleans and we still have family there. It sounds like you have been through the most heartwrenching time. My thoughts go out to you. I've subscribed to your blog and will be looking forward to hearing how things are going. With best wishes...

February 23, 2006 8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest wonderful Scribbling Anne. K misses E as well and asks for her special friend as well. I haven't been able to tell you just how much she has previously because it was just so hard. I am still heartbroken. I only hope we can continue being close friends through all this--despite all this. So nice to read your thoughts--literally. Thank you for writing, it makes sense of it all for me now, here. Missing you, Barbara

February 26, 2006 10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne, I am so proud of you for the decisions you have made since Katrina was headed for NO. They have been hard decisions and I think you have found the solution best for you and your family. I remembering trying to decide what was the best environment for you to grow up in and I think my choices have helped you in making your decisions now. Your daughter will be better able to adapt to the world as it changes because of her experiences in NO.

February 27, 2006 8:38 AM  
Blogger Scribbling Mama said...

Thank you all for your support. I am touched by your words of encouragement and wish I had more time right now to devote to this blog because there is always so much to say. But it is great to hear from all of you. And I am thrilled to hear about my book being read for a Literacy Studies course. There is just no way of knowing if it's being read out there, so this was welcome news. Thanks, rashida.

February 27, 2006 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home